Summer Skin Care Tips
Summer is almost here – the excitement is palpable, especially in New York City, where I live. What isn’t there to like about summer – the warm weather, outdoor cafes, outdoor beer gardens, light-as-air sundresses! Well, every season comes with specific challenges for the skin, and summer is no exception. Follow these easy tips, and avoid these common mistakes to make you look and feel the most beautiful and luscious this summer.
- Do cleanse gently: Your skin will be more oily and breakout-prone in the summer than in the winter, but don’t succumb to the temptation of scrubbing your face clean with harsh soap. Stick to a gentle, sulfate-free cleanser, such as our Rice Facial Cleanser that won’t leave your skin stripped or tight, which can lead to higher sun sensitivity and irritation.
- Hydrate without overwhelming: When it is hot and muggy, it’s tempting to skip the moisturizer altogether, especially when your usual moisturizer feels too heavy. Instead of skipping your moisturizer, you may want to switch to a lighter or an oil-free moisturizer that contains water-binding ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, rather than oil. This will keep skin supple, yet light, and you can apply it all over without feeling overwhelmed. Our new oil-free Sweet Black Tea & Ginger Mattefying Moisturizer is not only oil-free, containing hyaluronic acid, but it also contains ginger and cinnamon, both of which are proven to balance oil production. Plus, the sweet black tea helps prevent skin’s pre-mature aging the natural way. If you have a few dry areas, spot-treat with a more emollient moisturizer for those areas only, such as our Sweet Black Tea & Rice Facial Moisturizer, which contains silky rice bran oil.
- Ease up on active products. Certain active products, whether they’re medicated acne products or potent anti-aging products that contain Vitamin C, Retinol or AHAs, can irritate your skin when they mix with sweat. Since you will generally sweat more in the summer, especially when you’re physically active, reserve these products for night-time use and stick to a milder moisturizer for day-time use.
- Keep exfoliation light: While AHAs, peels and scrubs are key during the winter and spring to keep skin radiant, be cautious of exfoliation as summer approaches. New, fresh skin that is revealed through exfoliation is actually more sensitive to the sun. Keep exfoliation to once a week or every other week and do it at night rather than in the morning. That way, your skin can recuperate a bit from exfoliation while you sleep. Be extra diligent about applying and re-applying sunscreen every day when you exfoliate on a regular basis, in order to minimize sun irritation and potential skin discoloration. A great gentle exfoliator suitable for all skin types, is Dermelect Microdermabrasion 2-3 Facial Reveal.
- Powder sunscreen to the rescue: While it’s more important than ever to apply every day, the last thing we want to do on a hot muggy day is apply sunscreen. A great solution is mineral powder with sunscreen, attached to a convenient brush applicator. Not only will your skin feel smooth and look more even, applying it is so easy that you can do it anytime on the go. A great powder sunscreen is Peter Thomas Roth’s Instant Mineral SPF 30.
Enjoy the summer!
Of Japanese and German origin, Yoshiko Roth-Hidalgo’s fascination with skin health began in her childhood with the discovery of her chemist father’s dictionary of dermatological diseases. Yearning to find a brand that speaks to her Asian heritage, Yoshiko re-directed her passion and knowledge for skin care to a company she could call her own by co-founding JUARA. Today, Yoshiko continues to introduce the West to timeless Eastern ingredients as JUARA’s head of sales and marketing. She also writes a monthly skincare column at asiancemagazine.com.