Home : Brands : Holiday Beauty Tips
» Return to BeautyTalk® | Archives
Beauty Tips for a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season
There is no time of year that I like better than the holiday season. Family. Turkey. Ham. Football. Gifts. Holiday parties. It is not the most restful time of year, but it is the merriest. To keep me looking my best, from Thanksgiving to the last of the New Year’s get-togethers, here are some of my favorite beauty tips and must-haves.
The cold, dry air of winter can wreak havoc on your skin. Add too much caffeine, too much wine, and not enough water, and then the dull complexion really sets in. For me, the key to looking good is to keep my skin hydrated, both from the inside and from the outside.
- While I don’t like drinking water, I know how important it is for my skin. I like to add a tea bag and let it steep overnight. My favorite for the holiday season always has some hint of cinnamon or nutmeg. Alternatives include orange slices in my water. And I love my water room temperature, never ice cold.
- Even if I do remember to drink enough water, I need extra hydration from the outside-in too. Between November and February, my Kantic Plus Intensely Nourishing Cream is my go-to hydrator, morning, evening, and anytime in between. And now it is even more natural, in a paraben-free formulation.
- Eyes are the windows to the soul … nothing will send a clearer message of tiredness and stress than red, puffy eyes surrounded by dark circles. I have trained myself to sleep on my back. I love eye drops to keep my eyes hydrated. And I carry my Superpulse Rejuvenating Eye Balm with me in my purse, and make sure to apply it every morning and every evening. This lightweight balm is ideal under makeup, and will help to avoid the “cakey” look concealer or foundation can have on dehydrated skin.
I find my body has a natural tendency to round itself out during the winter. I’m not sure if that is due to the extra turkey, eggnog, and cocktail food I am consuming or to a natural evolutionary (and hence unavoidable) reason (doesn’t extra fat protect from the cold?). Regardless of the reason, I try to remind myself of the following:
- Tailored dresses do a great job of hiding any extra roundness. My jersey dresses, which reveal every imperfection, are reserved for the spring and summer seasons.
- I try to make up for unhealthy finger foods and cocktails with power bars for breakfast, and salad for lunch.
- I opt for champagne over sweet cocktails.
- I use our Alexandrite Neck Firming Gel for Neck and Bust for neck, arms and bust to tighten my décolleté, which is often uncovered in strapless cocktail dresses.
- My 532nm Hand and Foot Cream is essential to protect extremities from the cold, and make my mani-pedis last even longer.
Finally, remember: beauty is all about attitude and confidence; the holidays are a time to be merry, thankful, and forgiving; and a smile will go a long way to make you and those around you happy, regardless of how your dress looks, how tired you are, and how burnt the holiday cookies turned out.
Ada Polla is the co-creator of Alchimie Forever. She launched the line and is the driving force behind the business’ development and expansion. Ada is a member of the International Spa Association, as well as a contributor to numerous magazines and a frequent guest speaker at leading universities and industry conferences.