It’s no secret that glowing skin resonates with youth and good health. Here are the cardinal rules that you can follow to ensure pretty, radiant skin.
- Diet: A healthy diet provides for healthy skin. To ensure that your complexion glows eat lots of vegetables, berries, fruits, healthy grains, calcium-rich foods like milk, yogurt and buttermilk. Incorporate healthy proteins like chicken and tofu, and omega-rich foods like fish and nuts. Eating healthily will not only make you feel better and healthier, it’ll also contribute to pretty, fresh, youthful and glowing skin!
- Antioxidants: it’s a buzz word for a good reason. Antioxidants ward off aging (and many health problems) by protecting our cells from free radicals and oxidative stress. While a diet rich in antioxidants will contribute to healthy skin from the inside out, antioxidant-rich topical treatments that we apply to our skin will also help to ward off oxidative stress externally, resulting in a bright and even complexion. Topical antioxidant treatments come in many forms; serums, gels, lotions, creams, even built into cleansers and sunscreen products that we use… so there’s no excuse to not use an antioxidant product!
- Sunscreen: Everyone should wear a sunscreen daily, even when it’s overcast the sun’s harmful rays penetrate through the clouds and can seriously damage our skin. Sun damaged skin is dull, lackluster and drab. It can also develop sun spots and excess freckles, resulting in an unsightly and uneven coloration. Skin cancer is caused by sun damage and can be prevented through regular use of sunscreen. There are many available sunscreen formulations on the market, so everyone will have their favorite (& no excuse to forgo one)!
- Exfoliation: Just as everyone should wear a sunscreen, everyone should also exfoliate. Exfoliation is key to smooth, radiant skin. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells (which make the skin look lifeless and dull) and it helps to even the skin tone, so if you have existing sun damage or hyperpigmentation, exfoliating regularly can help to lessen the appearance of bothersome spots. Manual exfoliants have small granules to remove dead skin cells- look for products that contain jojoba beads, which are rounded particles that effectively scrub the skin. If you prefer a chemical exfoliant an alpha hydroxyl acid will do the trick; look for products that contain glycolic, lactic, citric, malic or mandelic acid. If you prefer a very gentle exfoliant, try enzymes which eat dead skin cells without disturbing the healthy skin barrier.
- Hydration: Hydrated skin is plump and dewy, so everyone must use a moisturizer (even the oiliest skin types need to hydrate with a light, oil-free moisturizer). A moisturizer will lock hydration into the skin so treatment products can work more effectively- and a moisturizer will ward off premature aging too!
Remember that you can fake a little bit of a glow too- use illuminating products that boost the skin’s radiance, here are some of our favorites:
Philosophy Divine Illumination; what makes this anti-aging moisturizer especially unique are light diffusers and natural skin enhancers that help give skin luminosity for a healthy glow.
Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15; Skin instantly looks softer and younger with this handy multi-tasker. It delivers a hint of sheer coverage, subtle shimmer, SPF 15 and added moisture in one effortless application.?
Ah, the coveted glowing skin. It’s easier to get than you think. I’ll show you how, just follow the steps below.
- Cleanse – Use a gentle cleanser that won’t dry out your skin. Cosmedicine Healthy Cleanse Foaming Cleanser and Toner in One is perfect. (They have one for normal to dry and normal to oily skin)
- Gently exfoliate – A mask like Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Revealing Mask, is great because it exfoliates while infusing the skin with luminous hydration.
- Treat – Dark spots are a major set back when glowing, radiant skin is your goal. Treat them safely and effectively with SkinCeuticals Pigment Regulator am and pm.
- Hydrate/protect – Glowing skin is synonymous with hydrated, healthy skin. Try an all in one tinted moisturizer to hydrate, protect and even skin tone a bit. Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 is a great all in one to try for dry skin. Normal to oily skins will fair better with MD Skincare All in One Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15. If you prefer more coverage, apply alight dusting of Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation.
- Glow – Try adding a touch of bronzer to the areas of your face that light naturally hits. Too Faced Caribbean in a Compact – Sun Bunny lets you create versatile looks from a subtle glow or go for a bronzed beauty look, or anything in between.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with your makeup. Try different looks for different occasion or even moods!