We love the thrill of getting our hands on beauty products which contain the most talked about ingredients. But what we love more is getting our hands on the products and discovering ourselves that they really really work. Alpha Hydroxy Acids (known as AHA’s, including glycolic, lactic, and citric amongst a few) can’t get raved about enough these days.
So today, we set out to uncover what really is so beneficial about the most popular one ingredient of the moment: Glycolic Acid.
Glycolic acid is a naturally occurring substance, that when used in skincare products offers many benefits to the skin, from rejuvenating to moisturizing. In its raw state, glycolic acid is a powder made up of colorless crystals that have no scent. Before we get too into the ‘sciencey’ stuff though, here’s a few of the benefits it delivers and the best Glycolic Acid based product for your face
The Best Selling Glycolic Acid Based Skin Care
The Benefits of Glycolic Acid
- You’ll find Glycolic Acid in many chemical peels due to high percentages being very effective for skin treatments (if done safely and properly!). Its even safe enough to use on sensitive skins.
- Glycolic Acid can be used in our daily skincare products, without causing any irritation. This is particularly popular with Glycolic Acid for the face, facial washes and cleansers, bringing along rejuvenating benefits from your first step of your cleansing routine
- Derived from plants – such as sugar cane, pineapple and sugar beets- its botanical properties help to treat skin conditions such as Psoriasis, Melasma and Seborrheic keratosis
- Glycolic Acid is the holy grail for exfoliation, effectively removing the outermost layer of dead cells from the complexion, revealing brighter, fresher skin.
- Products that contain Glycolic Acid are used often to treat scarring, skin discoloration and signs of aging, like fine lines and wrinkles. If you suffer from dull, pigmented or aging skin, look to invest in a once a week exfoliating treatment or an at-home peel product infused with Glycolic Acid.
- It can transfer water molecules from the air into the skin tissue, replenishing any lost moisture. This makes it an effective ingredient in moisturizers when used at low strengths.
- Studies show that Glycolic Acid skincare assists with boosting collagen production, which is brilliant for plumping up the skin. Collagen is a vital structural protein, helping the skin tissue remain firm and resist wrinkling. At low strengths, glycolic acid is the key ingredient to look out for when it comes to shopping anti-aging moisturizers or face masks, ideal for plumping, smoothing and refreshing your complexion:
How Does It Work?
- It reacts with the top layer of skin, breaking it down by dissolving sebum and other substances that bind cells together
- Made up of small molecules, it is able to penetrate the skin deeply and easily. This makes it most effective for treating fine lines, acne, blackheads, dullness, oiliness and uneven texture.
- Dead skin cells are sloughed off revealing smoother, brighter, younger looking skin.
- The products available which feature Glycolic Acid range in percentage of concentration, and also pH levels. A product with pure Glycolic Acid in a lower concentration is much more effective than one which includes it along with other ingredients. However, for daily use, you may want a moisturizer which fuses Glycolic Acid with natural ingredients.
Things To Consider
In our opinion – and the majority of skincare fanatics as it seems – Glycolic Acid can do no wrong when it comes to providing exceptional results for ageing, dull, pigmented, wrinkle prone and scarred skin. However, even the most effective and powerful ingredients always come with a few ‘things to consider’, so take a read of these points below before using Glycolic Acid products:
- Your skin may need to get used to it at first- a percentage that is too high for your skin can cause redness or flaking. Try to start off with a low percentage, and see how your skin adapts.
- If you do receive any flaking from first use, do not pick! Picking can cause hyper pigmentation and scarring.
- Use of other products containing Vitamin A, AHA’s or taking Accutane (acne medication) can cause a reaction as the skin is already sensitized. Retinol and AHA can be used together, but it needs to be done carefully.
- It makes your skin more sensitive to the sun, so its extra important to wear sunscreen when using any AHA products.
How To Use Glycolic Acid
Now that you know how Glycolic Acid works, the next step is to know how Glycolic Acid can work for you. These are my favorite Glycolic Acid based products. My favorite Glycolic Acid for the face being the Jan Marini and SkinMedica TNS Recovery Complex , which cleanses and exfoliates the skin and targets fine lines and wrinkles and reduces the appearance of discoloration to promote a smoother-looking, more even toned complexion.
To renew the skin's surface for an instantly younger looking you: Boots No.7 Advanced Renewal Anti-Aging Glycolic Peel KitBuy now with free delivery
Take your skin back in time and reveal an instantly younger-looking, radiant you, as this gentle glycolic peel renews and recharges your complexion. After the very first use, 86% of women found their skin felt smoother and 73% said their skin felt more toned. After just 4 applications, 76% said their skin looked clearer and brighter, just like younger looking skin.
Buy now with free delivery
Transform the look of your skin with the best Glycolic Acid for your face SkinMedica TNS Recovery Complex, an innovative treatment gel that contains the highest concentration of a patented growth factor* blend to help visibly minimize signs of aging.
Suitable for all skin types, the formula has been clinically shown to enhance skin tone, texture and resilience; it targets fine lines and wrinkles and reduces discoloration to promote a smoother-looking, more even toned complexion.
Helps reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and hyperpigmentation: Kerstin Florian Intensive Renewal Glycolic 15Buy now with free delivery
An advanced treatment for your skin, which we advise to use at night on a once-a-week basis. Uncover the natural beauty of your skin with this intensive exfoliating treatment creme based on Glycolic Acid, Vitamin C and botanicals. This formula allows emerging skin to absorb more oxygen and nutrients as it helps to strengthen the skin’s essential support structure.
Buy now with free delivery
This oil-free cleanser, formulated with Glycolic Acid, helps to remove dead surface skin cells to reveal a healthy looking, revitalized complexion. Best used on normal to oily skin types.
Buy now with free delivery
This two-in-one antioxidant treatment from SkinCeuticals uses two different mechanisms to help improve the appearance of aging skin both inside and out.
Fine lines and wrinkles are dramatically reduced with this powerful formula, free radicals are neutralized and collagen production is stimulated.