It’s impossible to avoid winter, unless you live in the tropics. However, you can sidestep the harsh effects this season can have on your skin with spring around the corner.
Cold temperatures, increased wind, and a drop in humidity. These are all the elements that contribute to dry, itchy skin. However, the good news is, there are several simple steps you can take to help your skin weather the winter season.
And one of our favorite innovative skincare brands, La Roche-Posay, is willing to offer some insight.
La Roche-Posay is also featured in our 22nd Anniversary Giveaway Bag!
A Few Basics
For starters, a little skin mindfulness can go a long way for keeping skin happy and hydrated. And all of these tips have one main goal in mind: Maintaining your skin’s barrier to help prevent hydration from escaping.
- Avoid harsh soaps and opt for a hydrating body cleanser instead.
- When showering or bathing, keep water at a lukewarm temperature. Although hot water may help take the chill off, it can compromise your skin’s barrier and make dryness worse.
- Apply moisturizer while skin is still damp after a shower or bath to lock in hydration.
- Opt for gentle exfoliation with mild acid-based products rather than harsh scrubs that can scratch or injure the skin’s surface.
- If dry skin leads to sensitivity, avoid rough and irritating fabrics.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air. Especially in places you spend a lot of time. Examples: your office and bedroom.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen! Although most of your body may be covered up in the cold, your face and hands are still vulnerable to sun damage.
Your skin may still be effected by winter weather and your indoor environment.. Then you will need targeted skincare products. They are formulated to provide the skin with the moisture it needs from head to toe and are your best bet for improving the symptoms associated with dry skin.
Problem: Dry, flaky skin Solution: La Roche-Posay Lipikar AP+Body Cream
The ideal daily moisturizer for maintaining skin hydration and comfort for up to 48 hours, this rich, balm-like hydrator instantly smoothes rough, dry skin on the face and body without leaving a greasy or sticky feel. Fortified with prebiotics that help maintain the skin’s delicate microbiome (and ensure the skin’s barrier does its job) along with moisturizing shea butter and soothing niacinamide, it’s fragrance-free, paraben-free and safe for sensitive skin as well as babies as young as two weeks old.
Problem: Dry, irritated skin Solution:La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5
When winter weather causes cracking, redness and visible skin irritation, a healing balm is in order. This extremely nourishing, lanolin-free, fragrance-free and paraben-free multipurpose balm soothes problem spots on contact while leaving a non-oily matte finish. Plus, it's intensely hydrating blend of ingredients includes shea butter, glycerin and panthenol to quell compromised skin in babies, children and adults alike.
Problem: Eczema flare-ups Solution:La Roche-Posay Lipikar Eczema Cream
Winter can be prime-time for eczema flare-ups. This non-greasy cream is formulated with hydrating shea butter plus soothing colloidal oatmeal and niacinamide to replenish the skin barrier’s essential lipids and deliver long-lasting hydration. Plus, it's been clinically proven to reduce itching and irritation on the face and body,