Welcome to Fall. The sun has slowly started to disappear, making the evenings rapidly creep up on our days. It's also getting much colder- brrrr.
Along with these environmental changes, one other thing is for sure: your skin will start changing. And soon.
Warm indoor heating, cool outdoor weather, there are lots of small changes in the seasonal transition. Whilst the fall season isn’t the coldest of seasons, it certainly a warm-up for us for the upcoming Winter, and a newer approach to skincare can be needed.
From deeper make-up shades to cleansing gadgets, lets take a look at our recommended fall skin routine to ensure we're all left glowing...
During the warmer months, we tend to wear lighter products such as BB creams and hydrating lip balms. These products are perfect during the summer when the skin needs to breathe, and the only protection we really ought to worry about is SPF. The intense indoor heating we experience from September is guilty for reducing the moisture levels in our skin, leading to dehydration. Stepping outside into cooler weather can also play havoc, causing cracking and chapped skin. A few key points to remember:
- It's around your lips and eyes which have the most sensitive skin, therefore it's beneficial to give these areas protection straight away. For the face, try using a mineral foundation that contains moisturizing ingredients; the minerals won't block your skin but the ingredients will help lock in essential moisture. The Dermablend Cover Crème Full Coverage Foundation is a great option, as it nourishes the skin and (importantly) contains SPF 30 too, Even when cloudy, the sun can penetrate through causing damage to the skin.
- As for the eyes, try the NEOSTRATA Eye Cream - PHA 4, which will gently yet effectively reduces dryness and the appearance of fine lines in the delicate area around the eyes.
When fall arrives, it's the perfect time to introduce a richer color palette of purples, deep browns and reds to echo the changing season.
- The skincare-infused formula in the Perricone MD No Makeup Skincare Lipstick selection is enriched with moisturizing ingredients to hydrate lips and protect them with mineral-based Broad Spectrum SPF 15.
- Update your eyes with the BY TERRY VIP Expert Palette N3. Paris Mon Amour Limited Edition, containing 10 blendable nude and deep colors. The browns and golds can be layered up for that intense, warming look.
As the air during Fall becomes drier, it's a given that our skin becomes drier too. As previously mentioned, switching between the warm indoor heat and cold, windy weather only makes your skin more 'parched', in which thicker, richer moisturizer need to be used to keep your skin flake-free and hydrated.
- Apply a rich moisturizer twice a day, but bear in mind that if you have very dry skin, moisturizing alone might not be enough. Instead, think about adding a serum to your skincare routine. Serumscontain smaller molecules than moisturizers, allowing them to penetrate deeper into the skin, working lower into the dermis. They come packed with active vitamins and minerals to target specific skin problems (like aging and dryness) leaving the skin more youthful and hydrated.
- One of our favorites is the BIOEFFECT EGF Day Serum, which delivers multiple anti-aging benefits, restores the skin’s moisture balance and provides a smooth finish, an ideal base for makeup.
The lack of moisture around us during Fall/Winter makes our skin cells die quicker. This is why exfoliating is a real key step for our skincare routines. Once the dead skin cells are removed, your hydrating products, such as moisturizers and masks, can penetrate into the skin without being stopped by a build-up of dead skin cells.