The best concealers diffuse discoloration, lighten shadowed areas, disguise blemishes, and work in conjunction with foundations to achieve a more even skin tone and hide flaws. However, a poor choice in concealers can make things look worse! They draw attention to problem areas, accentuate fine lines and wrinkles, look cakey, settle into creases, and even disappear as the day comes to an end.
Top 15 Tips and Tricks:
1. Concealers should not, generally, be applied over powder foundation. Doing so tends to cause streaking and the powder may roll or peel. When using powder foundation, apply concealer first.
2. Choose a concealer that is one or two shades lighter than your skin tone to neutralize dark areas without attracting attention by making it look too light.
3. Use liquid concealer; if you have normal, combination, oily, sensitive or blemish-prone skin.
4. Use stick concealer; if you have normal, dry or sensitive skin
5. Use cream concealer; if you have normal, dry, combination or sensitive skin
6. Use cream to powder; if you have normal, slightly dry, combination or sensitive skin
7. Apply concealer under the eye: draw a triangle with the base under your eye and the point toward your cheek instead of straight across the bottom of the eye. This technique covers more, blends better, and last longer.
8. When choosing a color-correcting concealer remember:
Lavender: counteracts sallow or yellowness in the skin
Yellow: counteracts deep purple tones such as dark circles or scarring; pale yellow works well to highlight brows and cheekbones but it must be pale yellow, not gold
Green: neutralizes redness, including diffusing redness from rosacea. Great for covering up acne!
Pink: Neutralizes a blue cast on lighter skin tones
Orange/Salmon: neutralizes blue to deep purple or grayish tones on deeper skin tones
9. To prevent your eye shadow from falling off your lid and settling in the creases, prime your eyelids first with a dab of concealer.
10. Hide puffy eyes with a bit of eye cream, highlighter, and concealer. Mix them together and apply.
11. After applying concealer, blot the area with a thin tissue to prevent the product from settling into creases around your eyes.
12. Make your lipstick pop and prevent the color from bleeding by lining the outside of your lips with a fine-tip brush and a bit of concealer.
13. Make your brows pop by lining them above and below with a concealer that’s one shade lighter than your skin tone.
14. Create a tinted moisturizer by mixing your daily face lotion with a bit of your go-to concealer.
15. For a smooth application with stick concealer, apply some on the back of your hand and gently rub in a circular motion to warm up the product. This will give you a nice smooth application.
Some of our staff favorite concealers are Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer and Too Faced Absolutely Flawless Concealer. You can find both of them on SkinStore.com.