Back in the day, it was often seen as ‘un-manly’ for guys to take an interest in their appearance. However, those views are now completely outdated, with male grooming being pretty much on par with female regimes. Whether it’s due to the rise in celebrity culture, or just the evolution of men being more aware of their skin health, the male beauty industry is a thriving marketplace.
As men continue to take more pride in their appearance, we realized the demand that men have for the right tools and products. Luckily, there are so many products continuously launching aimed at the male market and a rather large number of brands which literally cater just to men.
From well-manicured nails to smooth exfoliated faces, the modern man now has a host of options to choose from. Times are changing, and it looks like the male beauty trend will only expand. So if you’re a guy who feels a little stuck when it comes to beauty regimes and products, keep reading! We’ve got you covered from all angles – and we promise it’s a masculine experience!
At one point, shaving was just about removing any unwanted hair on the face, with the occasional trim and groom. Now, shaving is seen to be an enjoyable experience for men, with an array of beard oils, shaving creams and soothing balms for today’s man to indulge in. We advise the following:
- Take charge of your facial hair with luxurious shaving creams from The Art of Shaving.
- We also recommend looking into the men's dedicated range from Murad, which is fast becoming a 'go-to' for most men. The products work by mending skin damage and calming irritations, reducing any redness and bumps. We love the Murad Man The Perfect Shave Kit, which has combined the many benefits men need into just a few products. Smooth, soft and younger-looking skin is achievable in one handy set!
Manicured nails look great on anyone, and shouldn’t just be seen as 'one for the women'. Men are prone to getting their hands dirty often, whether it be in the line of work or from playing sports, which often causes dirty nails or hardened skin. Here are a few bits of simple advice for a healthy set of nails:
- Look to use a nail care kit and keep it in your car/bag. Using this regularly along with a nourishing hand cream keeps nails filed and buffed to perfection, with complementing soft hands.
- To enhance well-manicured nails and soft hands, use a rich scented body lotion with a masculine aroma to finish. The body range from Molton Brown have great choices for male skin, due to their scents being rather strong and uplifting
CLEANSING AND EXFOLIATING
Again, it's not just the ladies who look to promote a healthier complexion, with men's cleansing regimes becoming more and more popular. So you can understand how to effectively cleanse and care for your skin 'the man way', here are a couple of pointers:
- Cleansing your face with an exfoliating wash helps to get rid of dead skin particles, leaving you with much smoother skin. It can also help prevent blackheads, acne, and ingrown hairs- all of which are a pain for men more so than women. Men can’t really cover imperfections up with foundation, therefore causing more appearance insecurity. One range we love recommending is the male-approved beauty brand Menscience. You’ll find everything from acne treatments to eye creams, and the Menscience Pigmentation Repair Formula
- Just like women, men want to slow down the signs of aging. Anti-aging creams work just as well on men as they do women, but some can leave your face with an 'un-masculine' shine, not to mention a sweet scent (which really isn’t ideal!). AHAVA offers an Age Control Even Tone Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20, packed with natural Dead Sea Minerals to calms and soothe the skin, whilst working to reduce future signs of aging and fine lines.
MOISTURIZING & SPF It's important that male skin is kept moisturized at all times, but even more so in the Summer months. With a fantastic range of male-focused moisturizers with added SPF, we've rounded up some favorites:
- Double up with a moisturizer loaded with a high SPF - ensuring your skin is cared for and protected in the heat of the sun. We love the sleek and minimal packaging of the Menscience TIO2 SunBlock SPF 30
- Sitting a little lower in the SPF chart is the Boots No7 Men Protect and Perfect Intense Anti-Aging Serum. Not only will this chic, premium looking bottle look smart in your toiletries bag, it contains endless renewing ingredients to speed up cell turnover, brightening the skin and providing an intensely hydrating complex.