We love the thrill of getting our hands on beauty products which contain the most talked about ingredients. But what we love more is getting our hands on the products and discovering ourselves that they really really work. Alpha Hydroxy Acids (known as AHA’s, including glycolic, lactic, and citric amongst a few) can’t get raved about enough these days.
So today, we set out to uncover what really is so beneficial about the most popular one ingredient of the moment: Glycolic Acid.
Glycolic acid is a naturally occurring substance, that when used in skincare products offers many benefits to the skin, from rejuvenating to moisturizing. In its raw state, glycolic acid is a powder made up of colorless crystals that have no scent. Before we get too into the ‘sciencey’ stuff though, here’s a few of the benefits it delivers and the best Glycolic Acid based product for your face
The Best Selling Glycolic Acid Based Skin Care
The Benefits of Glycolic Acid
- You’ll find Glycolic Acid in many chemical peels due to high percentages being very effective for skin treatments (if done safely and properly!). Its even safe enough to use on sensitive skins.
- Glycolic Acid can be used in our daily skincare products, without causing any irritation. This is particularly popular with Glycolic Acid for the face, facial washes and cleansers, bringing along rejuvenating benefits from your first step of your cleansing routine
- Derived from plants – such as sugar cane, pineapple and sugar beets- its botanical properties help to treat skin conditions such as Psoriasis, Melasma and Seborrheic keratosis
- Glycolic Acid is the holy grail for exfoliation, effectively removing the outermost layer of dead cells from the complexion, revealing brighter, fresher skin.
- Products that contain Glycolic Acid are used often to treat scarring, skin discoloration and signs of aging, like fine lines and wrinkles. If you suffer from dull, pigmented or aging skin, look to invest in a once a week exfoliating treatment or an at-home peel product infused with Glycolic Acid.
- It can transfer water molecules from the air into the skin tissue, replenishing any lost moisture. This makes it an effective ingredient in moisturizers when used at low strengths.
- Studies show that Glycolic Acid skincare assists with boosting collagen production, which is brilliant for plumping up the skin. Collagen is a vital structural protein, helping the skin tissue remain firm and resist wrinkling. At low strengths, glycolic acid is the key ingredient to look out for when it comes to shopping anti-aging moisturizers or face masks, ideal for plumping, smoothing and refreshing your complexion: